Mennonite Chiropracters

  

  Chiropracting is a popular thing among Plautdietsch Mennonites. In fact, some of the chiropracters have become sort of celebrities within their communities. For example in Spanish Lookout the now deceased Abram K Friesen was well known by the surrounding Mestizo villages as "Don Abram, el que soba". (Mr. Abram, the chiropracter) I personally never met him but his wife carried on the practice. We often went to her; a quiet but friendly lady. I remember the first ones to greet us as we stepped on her porch would be a big green parrot and a German Shepherd dog. After she remarried we had to find another chiropracter. 
  For a time we went to an older gentleman who often came to Spanish Lookout from Shipyard. However after he permanently returned to Shipyard we began visiting a female chiropracter also in Spanish Lookout. I suffer from plantar fascitis so when I visited Shipyard last year I paid a visit to a chiropracter who was recommended to me. He twisted my ankle, pulled and pushed, and spread some natural stuff on my heel which felt like liquid fire but brought me incredible relief from the constant pain. He also showed me some exercises I could do at home.
  In the modern colonies, some of the chiropracters have actually gone out of the country to study and are certified to offer treatments on spinal issues such as a herniated disc. Our favorite current chiropracter has tremendously assisted me with correcting my spine. It appears that she is well-known among other Mennonite branches too, as evidenced by a group of Old Order Mennonites, mostly ladies, standing outside her house one time when I came out of there. They had chartered a vehicle to drive them 40km from their colony in south central Belize.
  You see, while there are experienced and nature-savvy chiropracters in the ultra conservative communities (and I've been to more than one), they are in a way limited in the range of treatments they can offer. Also, many of them are males, which puts them somewhat at odds with female customers, especially pregnant ladies looking for treatments. (I once took a pregnant young woman who was nearing labor to an elderly lady in Spanish Lookout to have the baby shifted. According to what I understood, this older lady was a pro at this.) 
  Another time, I went to a young Mennonite chiropracter who was just starting out with his business. Naturally, I was a bit apprehensive and wondered if I should cancel my appointment but I had just dislocated my hip and he was the nearest one available on short notice. So I had my neck practically unscrewed, my legs unhooked so to speak, my ankles cracked, and I nearly swore that if I made it I would never return to him; but my hip was healed, I made it, and I have certainly returned to him more than once when our preferred chiropracter is unavailable. Of course there are others to choose from in Spanish Lookout; but there are only 2 that I have felt comfortable with. You choose yours.
                             
                                                     A. Mendoza

Popular posts from this blog

Mennonite Foods

Mennonites and Music

Mennonite Houses