Crazy Mennonites: Yes or No?

  
Go for it, buddy!

  Oh, I'm sure we all love some crazy fun and daring adventure now and then, something out of the ordinary, stuff that makes our peers open their mouth in admiration or laughter yet makes our parents and groosmamas shake their heads and stare at us with a sepulchral frown. I myself will never forget my teenage years of popping wheelies on the middle of the road, drag racing, midnight Halloween pranks(my conservative Mennonite parents disapproved of it), nose-diving in an airplane with my buddies, hitchhiking at night on the mountains of Guatemala, etc. Those days are past, and unfortunately those days the smartphone was just invented so I don't have any of my stuff recorded, but here are a few mild reminders of some good old fun. Crazy Mennonites, right? Or to be more honest, Mennonites who are simply being themselves and enjoying it.

From drifting a pickup...



...to custom-made manual Oldsmobile...




...and don't forget a bit of donut driving...


           
  This last video was first posted on Facebook about 2 years ago, recorded somewhere in an Old Colony Mennonite community, and went viral, garnering several million views. And you thought Dietsch Mennonites are quiet, sober, solemn and stoic individuals? Think again, bro! 

                              
                                                  A. Mendoza

Popular posts from this blog

Mennonite Foods

Mennonites and Music

Mennonite Houses